Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Aug 11 at 16:57 PM


Sam Saunders scored two and made one as Brentford romped to a comprehensive London derby win against Leyton Orient.

Saunders set up a goal for Leon Legge soon after half time and then scored himself to add to Niall McGinn's first half strike as The Bees put Orient to the sword.

The East London side had their chances before the break but they were pummelled in the second half and had no answer.

The inspirational wide man added Brentford's fourth with 15 minutes remaining and Marcus Bean smashed a late fifth to put a justified gloss on the score line.

Brentford started brightly - Gary Alexander shot wide inside the first minute after picking up a McGinn pass and the hosts were ahead soon after.

McGinn picked up a pass on the left and, with Craig Woodman making a fine run to take players away, cut inside before drilling a low shot inside Lee Butcher's near post.

The slippery surface, following two hours of heavy rain pre-kick-off, would not have helped the Orient stopper but he will no doubt be disappointed to have been beaten at his near post.

The Os, however, were not deflated by that goal and probably had the better of the next 15 minutes.

Alex Revell shot wide after a break down the left and Dean Cox curled an effort inches over.

The Bees were nearly punished by an inexplicable decision from referee Andy Haines when Legge played the ball away from David Mooney when he was racing clear only for Mr Haines to adjudge it a foul.

Legge was only booked when he could have been dismissed, Cox's curling free kick deflected wide and Jimmy Smith headed over from the resulting corner.

Brentford soon regained a modicum of control in a competitive game that always looked like it had the potential to turn nasty.

Neither side asked for any quarter and none was given as the tackles flew in.

Legge missed his kick in front of goal when meeting a Saunders corner and McGinn curled an effort over from a similar position to that which he scored from.

Scott Cuthbert made a vital interception to prevent Clayton Donaldson reaching an Alexander pass and finishing off a superb move and Saunders headed over soon after.

Orient could have levelled before the break - Richard Lee saved at the feet of Stephen Dawson when the midfield player burst in to the penalty area and Cox chipped an effort on to the top of the crossbar.

Elliot Omozusi made a superb block to prevent Jonathan Douglas finishing off a flowing move involving Kevin O'Connor, McGinn and Alexander seconds before the break as Brentford went in to half time ahead but not in complete control.

Within ten minutes of the re-start, however, Brentford were three up and the game was done.

The second goal came when Legge met a Saunders free kick unmarked at the far post to head powerfully past Butcher.

And Saunders scored the third himself, curling a free kick past the hapless Butcher and in to the top corner from 22 yards.

It was no more than Brentford deserved - they flew out of the blocks at the start of the second half and repeatedly cut Orient to ribbons.

Donaldson had fired inches wide when he met a Saunders corner and Alexander curled a shot wide after a move involving at least six players and 15 passes.

McGinn cut inside and shot low, only to see it blocked by Jake Reeves, standing in an offside position, while Reeves himself shot wide after a cross was half cleared.

Cox had missed the target with an effort for Orient but they were shell-shocked and Brentford, with the confidence of a three goal lead, continued to improve.

Reeves dragged a shot wide and then missed the target with a header from a McGinn cross.

Orient recovered a little - Cox had a shot deflected wide and Lee saved at the feet of Jamie Cureton but it always appeared as if Brentford would be the side to score if there were more goals coming.

And so it proved - Donaldson, who ran the Orient defence ragged all afternoon, was brought down on the left edge of the penalty area and Saunders curled the free kick past Butcher and in to the top corner.

Charlie MacDonald should have made it five seconds later when McGinn set him free but he shot over with only Butcher to beat.

Cox shot over from a tight angle and Dawson smashed a free kick over from distance but Orient were soundly beaten and were attempting to prevent it becoming embarrassing.

McGinn shot wide after Myles Weston had won the ball well in midfield while at the other end David Mooney curled a shot wide and then forced a save from Lee with a bobbling shot.

Cox should have pulled one back when he capitalised on a Legge error and Brentford exposed the difference between the teams moments later.

Donaldson picked up a long ball and laid it in to the path of Bean to smash home from 15 yards to complete the rout.

Weston shot inches wide as Brentford sought a sixth before Butcher rushed out to prevent Donaldson doing so and Douglas saw a shot with the outside of his foot blocked.

Mooney headed against the outside of the post in the dying seconds but Orient went away with nothing to cheer and their tails firmly between their legs.

Brentford: Lee; O'Connor, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Saunders (sub Weston 76 mins), Douglas, Reeves (sub Bean 70 mins), McGinn; Donaldson, Alexander (sub MacDonald 70 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Eger

Bookings: Legge (17 mins), Saunders (42 mins) (second of season)

Leyton Orient: Butcher; Omozusi, Chorley, Cuthbert, Daniels; Richardson (sub Laird 68 mins), Dawson, Smith; Cox; Revell (sub Cureton 58 mins), Mooney

Subs (not used): Forbes, Porter, Spring

Bookings: Cuthbert (74 mins)

Attendance: 5,399 (704 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports