Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Sep 11 at 16:58 PM


A Kevin O'Connor penalty gave Brentford their third straight League One away win.

The Bees dominated the opening stages and deserved the lead they got ten minutes before half time.

But Wycombe responded and it took a few vital saves from Richard Lee to ensure the visitors went away victorious.

Brentford had the better of the first 20 minutes and should probably have been ahead by the mid-way point of the first half.

Marcus Bean brought a save out of Nikki Bull in the Wycombe goal inside the first 30 seconds and Clayton Donaldson curled an effort over soon after when a Sam Wood shot was blocked.

Jonathan Douglas had a great chance to open the scoring when he cut inside from the right but when he got a shot away it was blocked and Wycombe scrambled it away.

Adam Thompson headed a corner across the face of goal and Marcel Eger - who annoyed the home fans during a running battle with Ben Strevens - flicked a header wide.

The home side came in to it as the game progressed but it was mainly on the back of a few strong challenges, some penalised by referee Keith Stroud and they created nothing in the first half hour.

Myles Weston curled a free kick over just before the half hour but the goal Brentford had been threatening came a few minutes later.

Weston played the ball down the line for Donaldson to run on to, as the striker slowed down to pick up possession on the edge of the box, running away from goal, James Tunnicliffe bundled him over and Mr Stroud pointed to the penalty spot.

O'Connor took the responsibility and placed his penalty to Bull's left with the keeper diving right.

Lee had been a virtual spectator - he held one low Stuart Beavon cross-cum-shot before Brentford's goal - but Wycombe responded to going behind.

Beavon found space from a Marvin McCoy cross but his effort bounced wide and after a series of corners, Lee responded well to push away a Strevens shot.

But Brentford were still the classier team and could have been further ahead at the break - Weston blazed over after a break and Douglas fired a free kick over the top towards the end of the first period.

Andy Sandell made a vital block to prevent Weston making it two early in the second half but the home side started well after the break.

They were, however, restricted to long range shots in the early stages of the second period.

Lee tipped a Stuart Lewis effort over and Ben Harding's shot deflected wide before Thompson and Karleigh Osborne had to combine to prevent Beavon bundling his way through.

Thompson blocked a Joel Grant effort and as the game reached the hour mark the home side were well on top.

The hit the crossbar through Strevens when Tunnicliffe nodded a Scott Donnelly free kick back in to the danger zone and Lee went full stretch to palm away a Donnelly shot before McCoy curled an effort narrowly over.

The game became a little more stretched as it went on and chances came at both ends, albeit mainly from long range efforts.

Douglas and Wood had efforts blocked before Sandell made a vital tackle to prevent Bean slotting home from 12 yards while at the other end, Lee again saved well from Donnelly.

Lee was steadily turning in to the game's key man - a save to his right from a curling Sandell free kick was worthy of any stadium in any country in the world.

Gareth Ainsworth volleyed wide, Sandell missed the target by inches from 20 yards and Elliot Benyon pulled a shot across the face of goal.

Time was starting to run out for the home side - Ainsworth chipped an effort over and Donnelly shot over from 25 yards.

Brentford were defending well, Wycombe's main efforts of notes came from outside the penalty area and The Bees coped well with the home side's numerous crosses and set pieces.

And with Wanderers unable to create a clear opening in stoppage time, Brentford took the points.

Wycombe Wanderers: Bull; McCoy, Johnson, Tunnicliffe, Sandell; Lewis, Donnelly, Harding (sub Benyon 67 mins); Grant (sub Betsy 79 mins); Beavon, Strevens (sub Ainsworth 74 mins)

Subs (not used): Foster, Rendell

Bookings: Strevens (20 mins), Lewis (28 mins), Donnelly (63 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Thompson, Osborne, Eger, Woodman; Bean, O'Connor (sub Llera 75 mins), Douglas; Weston (sub McGinn 60 mins), Donaldson, Wood (sub Forrester 81 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Grella

Bookings: Thompson (71 mins)

Attendance: 5,045

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports