Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Sep 11 at 16:56 PM


Brentford's tremendous away form continued with a ten-man victory at Oldham Athletic.

Uwe decided to make four changes to the team that lost against Preston: Eger, O'Connor, Adams and Clarkson, who made his Brentford debut - coming in for Osborne, Reeves, Weston and Woodman. Clarkson, and Clayton Donaldson lined up front in a 4-3-3 formation. Oldham fielded ex-Bees in Robbie Simpson and Reuben Reid.

Brentford started brightly in the unusually mild Boundary Park conditions - forcing most of the early exchanges - and Niall McGinn's shot was parried away from Alex Cisak in under seventy seconds. Adams and Donaldson combined with McGinn, and a further effort from Donaldson proving the Bees superiority in the first fifteen minutes. Indeed, it took until the 24th minute for the home side to give their visitors any real trouble. Chris Taylor then forced a corner from his goal bound strike, and his expert delivery from the dead all found Shefki Kuqi, whose shot was saved by Bees keeper Richard Lee.

This attack was the signal for a considerable spell of pressure for the homesters, and their best opportunity of the half arrived in the 29th minute. Reuben Reid skipped past the on-coming challenge of Llera (which he was subsequently booked for) to fire in a shot that Lee pushed away for a corner. Reid was again the creator for a clever chip towards goal two minutes later but Lee gathered safely. Reid then rounded Lee on the edge of the six yard box but the angle was too tight and he shot wide.

But it was Brentford who struck first seven minutes before the break. Niall McGinn's left wing cross was cleared to Jonathan Douglas, whose low 25-yard shot went through a forest of players and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net. The opening chances after the interval were few and far between from either side but Brentford carved out the first of note as Douglas almost repeated his first half feat in the 56th minute, Cisak spilling his long range shot away for a corner. Reid, always at the heart of any Oldham attack, saw his close-range shot pushed away by Lee.

Uwe made his first change of the game, debutant Clarkson making way for Myles Weston in a straight tactical swop but the game exploded into life in the 65th minute - Llera's handball resulted in the Spaniard being cautioned for the second time and he was given the mandatory red by referee Geoff Eltringham. Thus the Bees were down to ten men. Undeterred by the numerical disadvantage Brentford put themselves further in the driving seat with McGinn the provider. Myles Weston received the Irishman's cut back ball and beat Cisak with a left-foot shot in the 73rd minute to the delight of the 163 travelling supporters. Toumani Diagouraga was then given his first run out of the season to replace the impressive McGinn.

Home substitute Matt Smith bundled Richard Lee into the net in added-on time but referee Eltringham ruled the effort out and Brentford returned south with three points.

Brentford:- Lee; Thompson, Adams, Llera, Eger, Bean, O'Connor (capt) (sub 66 minute Osborne), Douglas, Clarkson (sub 61st minute Weston), Donaldson, McGinn (sub 74rd minute Diagouraga).

Subs:- Moore, Wood.

Bookings: Llera (29 and 65), Eger (69)

Red card: Llera (65)

Oldham Athletic: - Cisak, Yves M'Voto, Wesolowski (sub 76th minute Diallo), Diamond (capt), Clarke (sub 68th minute Smith), Reid, Simpson (sub 58th minute Morais), Adeyemi, Taylor, Lee, Kuqi.

Subs:- Gerrard, Mellor.

Bookings: Diallo (85).

Attendance: 3777 (163 Bees).

By Mark Chapman

    Latest Match Reports