Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Oct 11 at 17:27 PM


Toumani Diagouraga scored with two minutes remaining as Brentford came from behind to draw 2-2 with Carlisle United.

David Clarkson had scored at both ends as The Cumbrians had turned the game around to lead in the second half.

The Scottish striker's first goal for Brentford opened the scoring inside ten minutes but Carlisle levelled quickly and an own goal from the Bristol City loanee gave them the lead.

But Clarkson set up Diagouraga for the equaliser and Brentford returned south with a share of the spoils.

Carlisle had the first effort on goal - Jon-Paul McGovern shooting across the face of goal from a tight angle - but Brentford started better.

Clarkson shot wide from distance early on and Sam Wood headed straight at Adam Collin from a Craig Woodman cross.

The Bees opened the scoring inside the first ten minutes with a beautiful goal.

Adam Thompson darted down the right and skipped away from Matty Robson, his ball to the far post was cushioned by Jonathan Douglas in to the path of Clarkson and the striker finished superbly.

But Carlisle responded well to going behind - Rory Loy shot wide from distance and Richard Lee had to make a superb save from Liam Noble before Robson curled a free kick inches wide with the Brentford goalkeeper rooted to the spot.

The goal the hosts had been threatening came midway through the half - Robson put a ball in from the left, Noble fed it back and James Berrett slotted home from close range.

That was no more than Carlisle deserved and they continued to hold the upper hand, with Noble influential.

The midfield man shot over from the edge of the box after good work by Tom Taiwo and Miguel Llera blocked another effort from the same man soon after following a run from deep.

The Bees were under the cosh and Carlisle sensed a chance to take control of the game - McGovern should have done better than fire straight at Lee when a corner went all the way across the box and Loy deflected a goal-bound shot from Noble wide when the Brentford goalkeeper failed to gather a cross, although it did appear he had been impeded.

But The Bees weathered the storm and had the better of the last ten minutes of the first half.

They nearly regained the lead when Clarkson had a shot deflected wide and Llera missed the target with a header soon after.

The Spaniard also had claims for a penalty turned down by referee Robert Lewis after it appeared he was tugged down in the box.

Sam Wood fired wide from long range in the dying minutes of a half that had been entertaining and even overall.

Brentford continued to hold the upper hand after the break - Thompson had an early volley from a corner blocked before Clarkson set up a shooting opportunity for Douglas but the midfield man fired over.

Clarkson and Wood created a chance for Kevin O'Connor with tenacious work on the right but the Brentford captain shot over from 20 yards.

Berrett had two chances to double his tally for the day early in the second period - first he steered a shot wide after latching on to a McGovern pass before a long range effort flew across the face of goal.

The midfield man went close again soon after with a curling free kick that Lee managed to claw away but moments later the hosts were ahead.

This time Berrett was the provider, he swung in a free kick that bounced around the area, cannoned off the knee of Clarkson and rolled in to the net.

Brentford tried to hit back immediately - Douglas headed a Myles Weston cross wide and Llera had a shot blocked.

The Bees came within a whisker of a leveller when Carlisle failed to deal with a corner and Diagouraga's header was heading in before Fran├žois Zoko cleared off the line.

Carlisle had retreated a little after going ahead - content to sit on their lead and attack on the break.

Brentford introduced Clayton Donaldson and Sam Saunders in an attempt to find a way back in to the game but had to be wary.

James Tavernier had a fierce shot blocked by his own man and it took a fine tackle from Thompson to prevent Zoko going clear to make it three.

The equalising goal Brentford deserved came with time running out - Clarkson found Diagouraga and the midfielder cut inside before firing through the legs of Collin.

Both teams had chances to win it - Collin dived full stretch to keep out a Saunders free kick and then palmed away a Llera header while at the other end Berrett had a shot blocked, Tavernier shot over and Danny Livesey saw a volley deflect wide.

Both teams will feel they could have won it but in the end neither did and the spoils were shared.

Carlisle United: Collin; Tavernier, Livesey, Murphy, Robson; Berrett, Taiwo, Noble; McGovern, Miller, Loy (sub Zoko 70 mins)

Subs (not used): Gillespie, Kavanagh, Curran, O'Halloran

Bookings: Livesey (42 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Thompson, Eger (sub Donaldson 72 mins), Llera, Woodman; Douglas, O'Connor, Diagouraga; Wood (sub Weston 57 mins), Clarkson, Adams (sub Saunders 78 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Osborne

Bookings: Eger (39 mins) (second of season)

Attendance: 4,184

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports