Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 at 16:56 PM


Brentford were forced to settled for a point at Griffin Park as ten-man Scunthorpe United frustrated their way to a 0-0 draw.

The visitors matched The Bees in the first half, and might even have had the better chances, but were pushed back after the break, particularly after the sending off of Andrew Wright.

But Brentford couldn't break through the well-organised Scunthorpe defence and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The visitors settled quicker and had the better of the first 15 minutes.

It took a brilliant point-blank save from Richard Lee to prevent Mark Duffy heading The Iron in front inside the first minute and a challenge between David Clarkson and Oliver Norwood almost resulted in the ball looping in to the net from 20 yards.

Norwood missed a gilt-edged chance soon after when Chris Dagnall sprung the offside trap and crossed, only for the Scunthorpe midfield player to volley over from 15 yards.

Adam Thompson had to be alert to prevent Andy Barcham shooting from 18 yards after a poor Craig Woodman throw in soon after as the visitors continued to hold the upper hand.

But Brentford - playing 4-4-2 for the first time since August - soon got a foothold in the game.

Clarkson dropped slightly deeper, removing Scunthorpe's one-man advantage in the centre of midfield, and The Bees improved.

Craig Woodman and Clayton Donaldson almost set up a shooting chance for Toumani Diagouraga but Scunthorpe scrambled it away, with appeals from the home side a hand may have been involved, and Myles Weston sliced an effort wide moments later.

Sam Johnstone in the Scunthorpe goal held a low Jonathan Douglas free kick before Wright nodded a Miguel Llera header off the line.

Johnstone made a good low save from a Niall McGinn shot after the Northern Ireland international had accelerated through the midfield while at the other end, Marcel Eger made an important header to prevent Dagnall nodding in a Barcham cross.

Brentford had the better openings in the later stages of the first half without creating any clear cut chances.

Clarkson shot over from 25 yards and Donaldson had a deflected effort saved before Lee held a Norwood effort at the other end.

The teams went in to half time level but the visitors would probably have been happier.

They had created slightly the better chances and threatened through Barcham and Dagnall while Brentford had made two changes by the time the second half kicked off - Diagouraga only lasted half an hour before going off injured and Thompson was replaced at half time.

The Bees had a little something extra after the changes and dominated the opening of the second half.

Clarkson diverted a McGinn cross wide before Marcus Bean, the half time substitute, headed a Weston corner over.

The home side should have been ahead ten minutes in to the second half when McGinn exchanged passes with Donaldson and put the ball across the six-yard box, just ahead of Clarkson.

Woodman recovered the loose ball and put in a fantastic cross from the by-line but Clarkson nodded wide from close range.

Scunthorpe were forced back in the early stages of the second half but they almost went ahead when Shane Duffy met a Michael O'Connor corner but his header was off target.

Damien Mozika had a couple of shots blocked but most of the action was at the other end.

Goalkeeper Johnstone was forced to scramble the ball away at the edge of his penalty area, tackling both Clarkson and Donaldson before Douglas lifted a snap shot over the top and Bean had a shot blocked.

Brentford looked likely to be the only team trying to win the game and were handed a boost when Wright was sent off for the visitors for two bookable offences inside eight minutes.

The red card gave The Bees 18 minutes to try and break down the visitors and they almost did so within seconds when a Weston cross narrowly eluded Donaldson and McGinn.

But Scunthorpe's resolute two banks of four and the aerial prowess of Paul Reid and Shane Duffy made it hard for Brentford to open them up.

In fact the visitors almost snatched it on the break - first Lee saved at the feet of Barcham before Marcel Eger made a vital tackle to stop Bobby Grant.

Mike Grella had a header saved for Brentford as they pushed for the winner but Lee was forced to palm away a fierce O'Connor shot at the other.

The match was ten-a-side for much of the last five minutes as McGinn limped off with Brentford having made all their substitutions, returning after lengthy treatment.

The Bees continued to press and almost scored six minutes in to stoppage time through a Bean header but couldn't find a way through and had to settle for a point.

Brentford: Lee; Thompson (sub Bean h/t), Eger, Llera, Woodman; McGinn, Diagouraga (sub O'Connor 32 mins), Douglas, Weston; Donaldson, Clarkson (sub Grella 66 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Wood

Scunthorpe United: Johnstone; Togwell, Reid, S. Duffy, Wright; O'Connor; M. Duffy (sub Thompson 66 mins), Mozika, Norwood, Barcham; Dagnall (sub Grant 66 mins)

Subs (not used): Slocombe, Nelson, Ajose

Bookings: Mozika (27 mins), Wright (64 mins), Thompson (89 mins)

Sent Off: Wright (72 mins) (second bookable offence)

Attendance: 4,907 (387 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports