Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 25 Oct 11 at 21:41 PM


Chris Beardsley scored the only goal of the game as Stevenage went away from Griffin Park with all three points and a 1-0 win.

The visitors may wonder how they did it as they spent most of the game on the defensive but Brentford could not find a way through.

The Bees dominated possession and territory but could not get on the end of a series of crosses in to the box and did not work Chris Day in the Stevenage goal as much as they would have liked.

Stevenage showed signs in the early stages they had come to try and win the game, rather than sitting in for a point.

It led to a decent encounter in the opening stages and both teams had early chances.

A couple of early corners from the visitors caused Brentford problems but Stevenage's willingness to put men forward left them exposed at times.

The Bees almost exploited it early on when, after one break forward, Jonathan Douglas exchanged passes with Myles Weston but the midfield man couldn't get a shot away.

Joel Byrom fired a free kick over for the visitors, who were adventurous without looking like creating a clear-cut opening.

And Brentford certainly had the better of the chances.

From another breakaway, Niall McGinn fed Clayton Donaldson and it took a great block from Jon Ashton to prevent the striker firing in to the bottom corner.

A Toumani Diagouraga cross just eluded Donaldson and Marcus Bean soon after and Weston had a shot deflected over.

Stevenage just about escaped with their goal in tact when Weston's cross was just too high for Bean, the midfield man headed down but McGinn couldn't get a shot off.

The visitors couldn't clear and Shaleum Logan's cross found Weston but the wide man slipped at the vital moment and when Craig Woodman put the ball back in, Donaldson headed wide.

Weston almost inadvertently scored when a Craig Reid clearance hit him and flew just over and Woodman and Logan had shots blocked.

Stevenage showed their danger on the counter attack when Karleigh Osborne had to make a superb tackle to prevent Reid latching on to a Beardsley nod down and John Mousinho shot narrowly wide soon after.

Osborne was limping when he made that challenge after a bone-crunching tackle with Robin Shroot and he limped off before the half hour mark to be replaced by Marcel Eger.

As half time approached, Brentford started to take complete control of possession and territory as Stevenage retreated.

Donaldson was just unable to reach a Weston cross and when he and Diagouraga tried to do the same soon after it appeared both were shoved to the floor but referee Simon Hooper saw nothing untoward.

Donaldson had a shot deflect wide off Scott Laird before the striker just couldn't reach a low Bean shot that arrowed wide.

The striker shot wide after a nice turn in the dying seconds of the half before Eger had an effort blocked but Brentford couldn't break through the resolute Stevenage defence before the break.

The visitors had been forced in to their shells, a Laird shot well wide all they offered in the second half of the first period.

They had an early chance in the second half when Beardsley picked up a poor Woodman pass but he shot wide from 20 yards.

And the game then continued in a similar fashion to the first half, Brentford trying to break down the Stevenage defence.

Donaldson, Weston and McGinn all had long range efforts early in the second half that failed to trouble Day in the Stevenage goal.

And Douglas had a go soon after with a free kick that flicked off Donaldson and narrowly wide.

Stevenage almost struck on the counter attack when Laurie Wilson's cross found Byrom but Llera made an important block.

Logan shot wide for The Bees, Bean was just unable to turn in a cross from substitute Blair Adams and Eger blasted well over after Llera nodded down a Weston corner.

Richard Lee was forced in to a fine low save from a Mousinho effort but as the game reached the three quarter mark it was looking more like one goal would settle it.

McGinn shot well over for The Bees and Mousinho shot wide for the visitors before Beardsley struck.

Brentford failed to clear a cross from the left and the Stevenage striker steadied himself before firing in from 12 yards.

The Bees tried to respond - Donaldson had a shot deflected wide, Adams forced Day to tip a cross-cum-shot over his own bar and and Miguel Llera shot narrowly wide when a corner was half cleared.

But Stevenage could have made it safe when Mark Roberts was unable to force the ball home from a corner and when Brentford failed to clear, Beardsley fired just wide.

Stevenage had not exactly been ambitious after a bright start but they sat deeper and deeper in the final minutes.

Douglas fired a free kick wide for The Bees, who knocked on the door repeatedly but could prise it open.

Llera had a great chance but he headed straight at Day in the final minute and Brentford's chance had gone.

Brentford: Lee; Logan, Osborne (sub Eger 27 mins), Llera, Woodman (sub Adams 60 mins); Bean, Douglas, Diagouraga; McGinn, Donaldson, Weston (sub Grella 76 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Saunders

Stevenage: Day; Henry, Ashton, Roberts, Laird; Byrom (sub Edwards 78 mins); Reid (sub Harrison 70 mins), Mousinho, Long (sub Wilson h/t), Shroot; Beardsley

Subs (not used): Julian, Madjo

Bookings: Ashton (61 mins), Edwards (90 mins)

Attendance: 4,771 (555 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports