Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Oct 11 at 17:02 PM


Sam Saunders marked his first Football League start since the end of August by scoring one and making one as Brentford beat Chesterfield.

The wide man curled in a free kick midway through the first half only for Chesterfield to hit straight back.

The Bees looked as if they may again be frustrated as they created a series of openings without scoring but central defender Dale Bennett marked his d├ębut by heading in a Saunders corner inside the last ten minutes to give Brentford the win they deserved.

Brentford started very brightly, they completely dominated the first 20 minutes and should have been ahead.

Niall McGinn went close inside the first 40 seconds after exchanging passes with Mike Grella but he lashed in to the side netting and Bennett headed a Saunders corner wide soon after.

The Bees thought they should have had a penalty when Drew Talbot appeared to bring down Clayton Donaldson as he tried to finish a Grella lay off but referee Iain Williamson adjudged no foul had been committed.

Grella fired well over soon after, McGinn had a shot blocked and Donaldson was just unable to reach a Saunders cross, moments after another from the winger had flown across the face of goal.

Donaldson was unable to finish off another McGinn dart in to the box soon after as Brentford finished the first quarter of the match in command.

And they turned that in to a goal soon after.

The umpteenth free kick awarded by Mr Williamson, this one for a foul by Drew Talbot on McGinn, was curled expertly by Saunders in to the top corner from 25 yards.

It took Brentford almost 25 minutes of sustained pressure to score but Chesterfield less than 120 seconds to level.

Brentford failed to clear a cross and Leon Clarke reacted first to finish well from 14 yards.

The visitors nearly went ahead soon after when Dean Holden's header from a Danny Whitaker corner had to be cleared off the line by Blair Adams and they reacted better to the brace of quick goals.

When Brentford again failed to clear a cross, Craig Westcarr couldn't convert and Nathan Smith lashed a shot wide before Alex Mendy and Whitaker blazed over towards the end of the first half.

The Bees had a couple of late half chances, McGinn headed a Shaleum Logan cross over and Donaldson dragged a shot wide but Chesterfield had clearly been buoyed by equalising so quickly and would have gone in at half time happier.

They had the first shot of the second period when Whitaker missed the target from 20 yards and the same man forced Richard Lee in to a low save soon after but Brentford were soon on the front foot.

Grella flicked a header inches wide and when Donaldson met a Saunders corner, Talbot cleared off the line.

Jonathan Grounds missed the target from 20 yards when a corner was half cleared and Westcarr fired a free kick wide but Brentford were having the better chances.

Jonathan Douglas had a low shot blocked and when Toumani Diagouraga put the ball back in, Saunders header was saved by Greg Fleming in the Chesterfield goal.

Blair Adams was starting to push forward to good effect on the left and from one burst he fed McGinn, who shifted the ball on again to Douglas - Fleming got down well to turn away the low shot and the midfield man fired the re-bound inches wide.

Westcarr headed over for the visitors but their attacks were becoming fewer and further between as Brentford continued to put ball after ball in to the penalty area.

Douglas had a shot blocked before Fleming saved a low Grella effort and McGinn slipped as he went to convert a Donaldson cross.

Fleming denied McGinn again after he exchanged passes with substitute Gary Alexander and Diagouraga had a header deflected inches wide.

Chesterfield were proving dangerous on the break - Smith shot over and then missed the target by inches with a header before Clarke volleyed over.

Brentford finally got their second goal with eight minutes remaining when Saunders curled over a corner and Bennett rose highest to power home.

This time Chesterfield could not respond quickly and Brentford should have wrapped the game up.

Donaldson fired over after picking up a short free kick and Diagouraga shot wide soon after.

Donaldson missed the target narrowly again and had an acrobatic effort blocked before Aaron Downes turned a Logan cross just over his own bar.

Donaldson had another shot blocked soon after and then one saved while Alexander volleyed wide.

Brentford's pressure probably deserved a third goal - and Donaldson almost grabbed it with the last kick of the game, only for Fleming to save - but two proved to be enough.

Brentford: Lee; Logan, Bennett, Llera, Adams; McGinn (sub Weston 83 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga, Saunders (sub Eger 88 mins); Grella (sub Alexander 72 mins), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Woodman, Reeves

Chesterfield: Fleming; Talbot, Holden, Downes, Grounds; Westcarr, Johnson (sub Bowery 79 mins), Mendy, Smith; Whitaker (sub Clay 65 mins); Clarke

Subs (not used): Mattis, Morgan, Randall

Attendance: 4,566 (353 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports