Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Nov 11 at 16:53 PM


Brentford extended their unbeaten run away from home with a hard-fought and well deserved draw against Sheffield Wednesday.

It is now almost three months and nine games since The Bees were beaten on the road after the 0-0 at Hillsborough.

Brentford had the better of the first half hour and certainly had chances to leave with all three points but Wednesday had chances of their own and it was a surprise that neither goal was breached.

Brentford started in fantastic fashion and should have been ahead inside the first 15 minutes.

Gary Alexander headed over with less than two minutes on the clock and Stephen Bywater had to get down well to keep out a curling Sam Saunders free kick.

Bywater saved a Marcel Eger header and held on to a Niall McGinn cross at full stretch while Alexander miss-hit a shot from 18 yards.

Saunders dragged a shot wide after a nice turn and then fired a free kick well over before another shot deflected and landed on the roof of the net.

Brentford continued to press and Miguel Llera headed across the face of goal as Wednesday began to look rattled by the visitors' start.

The hosts didn't offered much going forward in the first 25 minutes - Richard Lee had to make a good early save from an acrobatic James O'Connor effort and Toumani Diagouraga made an important headed clearance from a dangerous Ben Marshall cross.

Marshall was Wednesday's best attacking outlet and they shifted the ball regularly to him on the left flank.

He was, however, unable to create a clear cut chance from open play - albeit from one corner Rob Jones should have done better than head back across goal when five yards out.

Brentford were still on top as the game as it approached the half hour mark - Alexander missed the target with a shot and Saunders dragged an effort wide from 18 yards after a burst forward.

The Bees came within a whisker of scoring when Llera cannoned a header from a Saunders free kick off the crossbar and when Craig Woodman put the ball back in, Clayton Donaldson headed over from close range.

Wednesday had been very much second best for the first 35 minutes but ended the first half strongly.

Lee made another fine save to keep out a low Marshall shot and tipped an effort from the same man over soon after.

Danny Batth had a header deflected wide and Jones nodded over as the home side began to get some joy from a series of balls in to the penalty area.

Chris Lines had a shot blocked in the dying stages of the half but the teams went in level, although the home side had the upper hand.

They continued to do so in the early stages of the second period - Chris O'Grady couldn't convert a Lewis Buxton cross and Marshall fired across the face of goal.

Brentford also had chances just after half time - Donaldson picked up a poor Buxton back pass but waited too long and his shot was blocked and moments later Alexander was just unable to turn in a McGinn cross.

Buxton fizzed a cross along the six-yard box that no Wednesday player could turn in and Saunders had a shot blocked at the other end before Batth made a fine tackle to prevent Diagouraga firing home.

Lee saved a Jones header, Marshall had a shot blocked and Jones was just unable to convert a corner as the home side pressed.

The home side were on top without continually testing Lee in the Brentford goal - Marshall and O'Grady both fired over when well placed.

At the other end, a Douglas free kick as held by Bywater in the home goal after just eluding a posse of onrushing Brentford players and moments later a McGinn shot was blocked on the line by Batth and ricocheted luckily into the arms of his goalkeeper.

There were few chances in the last ten minutes and even five minutes stoppage time could not produce a winner.

Sheffield Wednesday: Bywater; Buxton, Batth, Jones, Reynolds; Lines (sub Palmer h/t), Semedo (sub Morrison 68 mins), O'Connor (sub Johnson 50 mins), Marshall; O'Grady, Lowe

Subs (not used): O'Donnell, Bennett

Bookings: Batth (31 mins)

Brentford: Lee; O'Connor, Eger, Llera, Woodman; McGinn (sub Grella 86 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga, Saunders (sub Weston 73 mins); Alexander (sub Bean 79 mins), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Devlin, Logan

Bookings: Eger (45 mins) (third of season), O'Connor (49 mins), Lee (87 mins)

Attendance: 18,107

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports