Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Dec 11 at 18:05 PM


A remarkable second half comeback gave Brentford an unbelievable point in a 3-3 draw against Milton Keynes Dons.

Leon Legge headed his second stoppage time equaliser in a week to cap a brilliant second half performance after two goals from Gary Alexander had pulled Brentford back in to a game they appeared to have lost.

The Bees had faced an uphill challenge after conceding twice in the first six minutes of the last game of 2011.

Brentford were rocked by conceding two inside 90 seconds and then a third just before half time, scored by former striker Charlie MacDonald.

They struggled to deal with the way MK passed the ball around and their clinical finishing and looked out of it at the break.

But Alexander scored twice to set up a grandstand finish and Legge once again came up with a last gasp intervention.

The game seemed to be almost over by the time six minutes had elapsed.

Sam Saunders curled an early free kick in to the arms of David Martin but MK went straight down the other end and Adam Smith's shot was deflected narrowly wide by Legge.

That was a sign of things to come as the right back had a large space to run in to as Brentford backed off.

There was just five minutes on the clock when the visitors took the lead - Darren Potter found lots of space from a Dean Bowditch lay off and his shot deflected past Richard Lee and nestled in the far corner.

Seconds later it was two as Brentford switched off from a throw in - Dean Lewington's delivery was allowed to bounce along the 18-yard line and Angelo Balanta fired an unerring shot in to the far corner.

Lee had to palm away another Smith shot soon after as MK threatened to run riot in the first 15 minutes and Jabo Ibhere had a shot blocked soon after.

The Bees had been below par for the first quarter hour but the visitors had given a fantastic demonstration of how to keep the ball and create openings with incisive passing and liver-wire movement.

Brentford did improve after that slow start - Alexander shot early and wide from 20 yards before Legge headed wide from a Saunders cross after good work on the edge of the penalty area.

Marcus Bean had a shot blocked and Alexander shot wide but Lee had to save from Potter at the other end before a Bowditch effort deflected wide.

Brentford had a good chance to find a way back in to the game when Bean had a shot blocked and the loose ball was worked to Saunders inside the box, but the cross flew behind the onrushing players and minutes later the game was over.

Jake Bidwell was robbed in the left back position by Bowditch and he slipped the ball across for MacDonald to slot comfortably under Lee.

Clayton Donaldson was introduced at half time and the momentum began to change with Brentford sticking with the 4-4-2 system they had played for the the second half of the first half.

David Martin held on to a curling Myles Weston shot and then saved a Saunders free kick above his head before Donaldson headed wide.

At the other end, Ibhere missed the target when he should have scored and Lee kept out a Bowditch drive.

Brentford started their comeback with 25 minutes remaining when Bidwell won the ball on the left, Saunders curled over a cross, Donaldson headed down and Alexander lashed it in from close range.

MK didn't seem overly concerned by the goal and MacDonald had chances to make the game completely safe.

First a low volley was saved by Lee then he shot wide from a tight angle but the game was starting to turn Brentford's way.

MK handed Brentford a lifeline when Balanta was penalised for handling a Saunders corner.

Alexander lashed the penalty down the middle and gave Brentford 16 minutes to find a leveller.

A Bean effort landed just wide before a Weston cross landed on the roof of the net and a Jonathan Douglas volley bounced wide.

Douglas saw another effort deflected wide after good work by Harlee Dean and Bean headed inches past the far post.

The game was now being exclusively played in MK territory and the visitors were hanging on a little.

Substitute Harry Forrester had a shot deflected wide and from the resulting corner, Legge headed over.

Eventually Brentford's pressure told - Saunders whipped in a free kick, won by a burst from Forrester, Legge headed against the crossbar and then reacted quickest to nod home the loose ball.

If there had been a few moments longer, Brentford may well have won it but MK held on for their point and the spoils were shared.

Brentford: Lee; Logan (sub Dean 83 mins), Legge, Eger, Bidwell; Douglas; Saunders, Bean, Oyeleke (sub Donaldson h/t), Weston (sub Forrester 81 mins); Alexander

Subs (not used): Moore, Diagouraga

Bookings: Bean (34 mins) (fourth of season), Eger (90 mins) (fourth of season)

Milton Keynes Dons: Martin; Smith, Kouo-Doumbé, MacKenzie, Lewington; Gleeson, Potter; Bowditch (sub Powell 79 mins), Ibhere, Balanta; MacDonald (sub Williams 79 mins)

Subs (not used): McLoughlin, Flanagan, O'Shea

Bookings: Smith (40 mins), MacKenzie (90 mins), Gleeson (90 mins)

Attendance: 5,397 (420 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports