Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Jan 12 at 18:23 PM


Brentford were forced to settled for a point at Prenton Park as Tranmere Rovers came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw.

The home side took an early lead but Brentford hit back as Gary Alexander and Clayton Donaldson set up goals for one another.

Brentford had the better of it apart from the first 15 minutes and the first ten of the second half.

But Tranmere levelled during their good spell in the second half and Brentford couldn't force a winner.

Both teams had chances in the opening ten minutes but Tranmere had the better of it and deserved their early lead.

Mustafa Tiryaki forced a save from Richard Lee after chesting down a Jose Baxter free kick and Harlee Dean headed a Sam Saunders corner wide.

But it was Dean's involvement at the other end that led to the opening goal.

The central defender made a mess of a clearance and was robbed by Tiryaki, he crossed for Martin Devaney and the wide man fired past Lee from 15 yards, possibly with the aid of a deflection.

Dean could have levelled it immediately but Paul Rachubka kept out his header from a Donaldson long throw and the on-loan defender headed wide from a similar chance soon after.

Devaney shot wide for the hosts and Lee got down well to keep out a Tiryaki snap shot and a curling effort from the front man as Tranmere held the upper hand.

But Brentford started to work their way back in to it, and would have felt they merited their half time lead.

Saunders could have levelled it before the 20 minute mark when he reacted first after Tranmere failed to clear a Harry Forrester cross - his first shot was blocked and when the ball dropped back to the wide man, he fired wide from 12 yards.

But The Bees didn't have to wait much longer - Saunders fed Donaldson on the right and when the forward crossed, strike partner Alexander controlled it, spun on a sixpence and rifled the ball past Rachubka to draw the visitors level.

Brentford took command after the goal and started to push the home side back.

It took them only nine minutes to get their noses in front as the front pair linked up again.

Donaldson flicked on a Craig Woodman ball forward, Alexander laid it back to the dread-locked striker and he lifted a shot over Rachubka and in to the net from 25 yards.

Baxter shot wide as Tranmere tried to respond but Brentford maintained the upper hand in to the break.

Saunders almost made it three before half time but was just unable to turn in a Forrester cross at the far post and it took a brilliant save to keep out a low Donaldson shot seconds in to the second period.

But Tranmere started the second half well and were level within ten minutes.

Left back Zoumana Bakayogo almost fashioned a goal with a cross from the left that eluded four bodies in the middle and it was fellow full back Danny Holmes who provided the equaliser.

After a series of sharp passes, the right back found room on the right and put in a cross that Dean diverted past Lee and in to the net.

Brentford responded well to that set back and were soon in command again.

Donaldson forced a low save out of Rachubka after skipping past Mark McChrystal - it was a good save from the goalkeeper but a square pass to Alexander would have surely seen a third Brentford goal.

Holmes made a vital header to prevent Forrester heading home a Donaldson cross and Forrester shot over after cutting inside soon after.

Tranmere came back in to the game but Brentford were having the better chances - Donaldson shot wide from distance and was then just unable to turn in an Alexander cross.

The Bees looked like the team most likely to win the game in the final 15 minutes - Dean's volley from a McGinn corner was cleared off the line by Ash Taylor and the Tranmere defender made another vital block moments later from a Toumani Diagouraga shot.

McGinn shot wide as the game ticked in to its final moments but Brentford couldn't find a way through and had to settle for a point.

Tranmere Rovers: Rachubka; Holmes (sub Goodison 68 mins), McChrystal, Taylor, Bakayogo; Labadie (sub Weir 44 mins), Welsh; Akins, Baxter, Devaney (sub McGurk 76 mins); Tiryaki

Subs (not used): Robinson, Coughlin

Bookings: Devaney (5 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Bennett, Legge, Dean, Woodman; Saunders (sub McGinn 76 mins), Douglas, Bean, Forrester (sub Diagouraga 67 mins); Donaldson (sub Grella 88 mins), Alexander

Subs (not used): Moore, Eger

Attendance: 4,432 (215 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports