Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Jan 12 at 19:18 PM


Brentford were left to bemoan an inexplicable decision as they let slip a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to Huddersfield Town.

Brentford were unmatchable in the first half hour - they passed the ball around at will and seemed to be on a different pitch to their promotion-chasing hosts.

Toumani Diagouraga was playing in areas the home side could not deal with and Gary Alexander won his personal battle with Jamie McCombe and Peter Clarke.

Alexander scored twice and Brentford looked to be cruising but referee Colin Webster and his senior assistant Darren Handley conspired to give the home side a goal when Alan Lee bundled Richard Lee over the line in an incident reminiscent of the 1950s.

Huddersfield grew on the back of the goal and scored twice more in the next ten minutes either side of half time to take the points.

Brentford responded and had chances to earn at least a share of the spoils but couldn't find a way through.

The Bees had chances in the opening five minutes - Sam Saunders' curling shot was blocked by Clarke when it looked to be heading in and Marcus Bean and Diagouraga had shots blocked - and by the time the game was 30 minutes old they had turned a great start in to a great lead.

The first goal came when Diagouraga found space and fed Bean, the midfield player was brought down by Clarke and Mr Webster pointed to the penalty spot.

Alexander placed the kick low to Ian Bennett's right to put Brentford in front as the goalkeeper went left.

It was the least The Bees deserved at that point - Alexander had a shot blocked and Bean's volley was cleared away before Marcel Eger had a header saved from a corner.

After the visitors went ahead Jonathan Douglas had a low shot saved, Bean blasted over and McGinn had an effort blocked.

But Brentford didn't have to wait long for their second - McGinn tricked his way past Gary Naysmith and crossed for Alexander to volley in from close range.

Bean should have made it three seconds later when he raced through the midfield on to a Douglas pass but he didn't make decent contact and Huddersfield goalkeeper Bennett saved low.

The home side, probably fortunate to be in the game, responded but barely look threatening until the intervention of Mr Webster and his assistant.

McCombe and Clarke headed wide, Richard Lee saved a week Jordan Rhodes and Alan Lee had a shot deflected wide.

The home side almost pulled a goal back when Brentford failed to clear a free kick - Gary Roberts' fierce shot was tipped on to the bar by Richard Lee and Eger reacted quickest to clear the loose ball.

And it was from that corner the game changed - Leon Legge's defensive header looped towards goal and Alan Lee bundled his namesake Richard over the line, claiming he had headed home.

Messrs Webster and Handley decided, unbelievably, there had been no foul and Alan Lee claimed the goal.

That completely changed the flow of the game and just before half time, Danny Ward teased his way inside and crossed for McCombe to expertly flick a header in to the far corner and level it up.

Ward shot wide and Diagouraga had an effort blocked as both teams tried to go in at half time ahead but it was the home side who would have been happier at the break.

The Bees had every right to feel hard done by and that was exacerbated as Huddersfield went ahead five minutes after half time.

A long ball went over the head of Alan Lee and Legge, with the former possibly impeding the latter, and Rhodes raced in to space, he feigned past Eger and slotted the ball expertly in off the far post.

The could have been ahead earlier when Roberts' chip cannoned off the bar and Legge headed the cross away as Rhodes lurked.

The Bees now had to find a way back in to the game without leaving spaces for Huddersfield to exploit.

They certainly had a good go - Legge had a header saved and Clayton Donaldson shot wide before Myles Weston darted through the middle and shot inches wide.

Richard Lee kept out a Danny Cadamarteri effort, Ward shot over and Tommy Miller toe-poked an effort wide while at the other end Weston curled one inches wide.

The home side reverted to five in midfield to try and see the game out and Brentford's chances were fewer and further between.

Douglas volleyed over from the edge of the box and a Dale Bennett cross flew across the area but Brentford couldn't find a goal and left empty handed.

Huddersfield Town: Bennett; Hunt, P. Clarke, McCombe, Naysmith; Ward (sub T. Clarke 82 mins), Gobern, Miller, Roberts (sub Cadamarteri 67 mins); Rhodes, Lee (sub Robinson 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Colgan, Parkin

Bookings: McCombe (20 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Bennett, Legge, Eger, Bidwell; Bean (sub Weston 65 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga; McGinn (sub Donaldson 58 mins), Alexander, Saunders (sub Forrester 76 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Dean

Bookings: Legge (41 mins) (third of season), Bidwell (43 mins)

Attendance: 14,405 (111 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports