Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Mar 12 at 16:57 PM


A second half brace from Andrew Williams condemned Brentford to defeat against Yeovil Town.

The Bees were ahead at half time after a Sam Saunders free kick opened the scoring and were the better team for long periods.

But the Yeovil striker scored a superb equaliser just after half time and capitalised on a defensive mix-up to poke in the winner in the dying stages.

Brentford were much the better side in the first half.

After a few minutes they started to comfortably repel Yeovil's aerial assault and most of the first period was played in the home side's half.

By the time Saunders put The Bees in front just past the midway point of the half, they were well on top and could have been further ahead.

But the home side were much improved after the break and in Andrew Williams they had a match winner.

Jonathan Grounds made an important early tackle to prevent Niall McGinn breaking free in the box and the Northern Ireland international brought a save out of Sam Walker following a sharp turn soon after.

Gary Alexander looped a header over the bar before Walker made a superb low save from as first time Clayton Donaldson effort following great work by Saunders, the ball broke back to Donaldson but the striker diverted his effort wide.

McGinn had a shot blocked after burst forward and Saunders' follow-up shot was also blocked by the overworked Yeovil defence.

Chances continued to come for The Bees - in one move Adam Forshaw and McGinn had shots blocked before a low Adam Thompson effort was pushed out by Walker and Alexander's follow-up effort on the stretch was cleared off the line by Luke Ayling.

The goal eventually came 24 minutes in when referee Roger East, who riled the home crowd throughout, awarded a free kick for a foul on Forshaw.

Saunders stepped up and his effort appeared to ricochet off at least one defender before nestling in the bottom corner.

Yeovil offered almost nothing before the goal - Andrew Williams shot wide after a nice turn early on - but responded well.

Paul Huntington headed over at the far post and Dean Parrett lashed over but Brentford soon regained the initiative.

They came close to doubling their lead before the break when a Saunders cross reached Donaldson and Grounds made a superb block to keep the volley out.

Yeovil had been second best by a long way in the first half but responded superbly after half time and Andrew Williams came out after half time all guns blazing.

The hosts equalised with their first shot on target but it was a goal to savour.

Andrew Williams controlled a long ball and with Leon Legge and Thompson at his back, he created half a yard and curled an unstoppable shot in to the top corner of Simon Moore's net.

Brentford almost restored their lead immediately when neither Legge nor Harlee Dean could turn in a Saunders corner but Andrew Williams was the man of the moment.

He curled a shot inches over after tricking his way past Legge and then brought a superb save out of Moore after beating Dean.

The home side also had appeals for a penalty when the ball cannoned in to Legge's hand in the penalty area but Mr East waved away appeals.

Forshaw shot over for Brentford and Ed Upson and Gavin Williams had efforts blocked as the game became stretched with both teams looking for the win.

Brentford thought they had regained the lead when Alexander raced in behind the Yeovil defence and blasted under Walker but assistant referee Adam Hopkins had his flag up.

Alexander was sure he was onside and it appeared as if the officials had decided Donaldson, not interfering with play, was the man who was offside.

The officials were angering The Bees again moments later when Douglas appeared to be fouled by Huntington as he attempted to head in a Donaldson nod down but again Mr East waved away the appeals.

Walker saved at the feet of Donaldson, Forshaw had a curling shot saved and Douglas nodded weakly at the Yeovil goalkeeper as Brentford pressed.

But there were chances at both ends, Upson and Gavin Williams had efforts blocked and Andrew Williams saw a shot deflected wide.

A McGinn effort deflected wide and Walker held on to a Dean header while Moore made an even better save at the other end after Jonathan Obika worked his way past Dean and Craig Woodman.

Walker saved a Dean header before the same man headed over.

Just when it seemed as if it would end all square, Yeovil won it.

Andrew Williams got his way between Legge and Dean and when neither cleared, the striker toe-ended the ball past Moore and in to the net.

Brentford almost snatched a point at the death when Douglas headed a corner down but neither Pim Balkestein or Saido Berahino could force it in and The Bees were beaten.

Yeovil Town: Walker; Ayling, Huntington, Grounds, Jones (sub Hinds 59 mins); Franks (sub N'Gala 90 mins), Blizzard, Parrett (sub Upson 34 mins), G. Williams; A. Williams, Obika

Subs (not used): Stewart, Woods

Bookings: Upson (42 mins)

Brentford: Moore; Thompson (sub Balkestein 90 mins), Legge, Dean, Woodman; McGinn, Douglas, Forshaw, Saunders (sub Forrester 77 mins); Alexander, Donaldson (sub Berahino 77 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, Bidwell

Bookings: Douglas (76 mins) (eighth of season)

Attendance: 3,930

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports