Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Mar 12 at 21:38 PM


A fine goal from Wes Fogden at the end of the first half was enough to give AFC Bournemouth the points against Brentford.

The Bournemouth attacker scored the only goal of the game in stoppage time at the end of the first 45 and Brentford could find no way back.

The hosts had all the chances in the first half hour and Brentford needed all hands on deck in defence to keep them out.

The Bees improved after the break but did not cause Darryl Flahavan in the Bournemouth goal as many problems as they would have liked and left with nothing.

Donal McDermott shot narrowly wide early on before Karleigh Osborne made an important block to deny Wes Thomas.

Miles Addison caused The Bees problems from set pieces, one header was deflected over and he nodded wide soon after before his central defensive partner Steve Cook met another Marc Pugh delivery and Harry Forrester had to head off the line.

Pugh headed wide for Bournemouth and Thomas shot wide when well placed before Richard Lee got his body behind a fierce Shaun MacDonald shot.

The home side were flooding bodies forward and even when the exciting McDermott was replaced by Lyle Taylor it did not stop their flow.

Their front four were happily interchanging to good effect and midfield players continually used the space created by the hard-working Thomas.

But they weren't really testing Lee - Pugh and Thomas both shot wide for the hosts.

Brentford did not have an effort of note in the first 35 minutes - a free kick almost resulted in a chance for Harlee Dean before the opening was quickly snuffed out.

The game was more even in the last 15 minutes of the first half with few chances but Bournemouth took the lead with just about the last kick before the break.

Simon Francis picked out Fogden, taking half the Brentford team out in the process and the Bournemouth attacker let fly with a shot from 25 yards that arrowed unerringly in to the top corner, giving Lee no chance.

The game was more even after the break and Brentford started to make things happen in the final third.

Forrester whipped a free kick across the six-yard box and when he delivered a fine corner soon after, Dean failed to make contact and Darryl Flahavan made a save to stop Jayden Stockley scoring an own goal.

The Bees had a great chance when Clayton Donaldson sent Forrester in behind the home defence - Francis made a superb tackle as the Brentford man prepared to shoot and when the ball dropped to Niall McGinn he screwed a shot wide.

Brentford were better after the break and improved further when Antonio German came on to partner Donaldson in attack but Bournemouth had openings to make the game safe.

Taylor headed wide after great work by Pugh and Cook headed narrowly wide as The Cherries came close to the crucial second goal.

Jonathan Douglas almost levelled for Brentford when he beat Flahavan to a Jake Bidwell ball forward but his header landed on the roof of the net.

German headed wide for The Bees while Lee comfortably saved a low Stockley shot at the other end.

Most of the last 20 minutes was played in the Bournemouth half but the hosts defended well.

They added reinforcements in the final stages to see off Brentford's threat and took the points.

AFC Bournemouth: Flahavan; Francis, Addison, Cook, Malone; Cooper, MacDonald; Fogden, McDermott (sub Taylor 16 mins (sub Zubar 84 mins)) Pugh; Thomas (sub Stockley h/t)

Subs (not used): Arter, Gregory

Bookings: Francis (49 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Thompson (sub Logan 78 mins), Osborne, Dean, Bidwell; Douglas, Diagouraga (sub German 58 mins), Forshaw; McGinn (sub Saunders 71 mins), Donaldson, Forrester

Subs (not used): Moore, Eger

Bookings: Thompson (45 mins) (third of season)

Attendance: 4,563 (275 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports