Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Mar 12 at 18:17 PM


First half goals from Clayton Donaldson and Jonathan Douglas gave Brentford their third straight win.

The Bees built on wins over Rochdale and Preston North End as they took the points at stadium:mk, beating Milton Keynes Dons 2-1.

Shaun Williams pulled one back for the home side with a disputed penalty late on and The Dons threw balls and bodies forward late on in an attempt to salvage a point.

But Brentford, who had chances to seal the game when they were 2-0 up, held firm and took a deserved win.

The home side started very brightly and Brentford were overworked in defence in the early stages.

An early Stephen Gleeson shot deflected wide before Richard Lee made a fine low save from a dipping Charlie MacDonald shot and Toumani Diagouraga made a fine tackle as Alan Smith prepared to slot home.

The Brentford goalkeeper made an even better stop when Jay O'Shea cut inside and let fly from 20 yards - Lee going away to his right to palm it away.

Brentford had barely been in MK's half in the first ten minutes but they almost broke through when Donaldson escaped on the left and ran in behind the home defence but he couldn't find Sam Saunders or Diagouraga with his cut back.

The home defence did not learn and a minute later Donaldson put Brentford in front.

The striker picked up a Saunders pass 35 yards out and teased his way past Tom Flanagan, who looked ill-equipped to deal with him, before lashing his fourth goal in three games past David Martin and in to the top corner.

The goal came against the run of play, and Alan Smith almost equalised immediately with a curling shot that was deflected inches wide, but Brentford grew in confidence.

Shaleum Logan shot wide after a quick break and Saunders missed the target following a nice turn.

Jake Bidwell blocked a Daniel Powell shot as MK tried to fight back but before the half hour mark, Brentford were two up.

Following a throw in on the right, Adam Thompson won a ball he had no right to and found Saunders, Logan fed it inside for Douglas to run on to and smash a shot in to the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.

MK came roaring back, sensing they needed a goal quickly.

Karleigh Osborne made a superb block to divert a Darren Potter shot over the bar with his face and Powell shot wide after breaking in to the box.

Referee Gary Sutton was starting to draw the focus of many in stadium:mk, partly due to the actions of Smith.

The MK midfield player was booked for dissent following a coming together with Saunders, who was revelling in the position of villain, and had appeals for a penalty waved away after going down with Bidwell in close attention.

The Dons went close again after another attack down the right - neither O'Shea nor Gleeson could force the cross home and Potter's eventual effort was blocked.

Lee saved again from James Tavernier but Brentford ended the half well - Martin saved a low Harry Forrester shot before Harlee Dean headed a corner over in the final action of the half.

The start of the second half was very even - MK were pushing for a way back in to the game while Brentford stood firm and attacked with pace.

Gleeson and O'Shea fired wide from distance and Forrester had a shot blocked at the other end.

Martin did well to keep out a low Douglas shot but the game started to get more and more fractious as the minutes ticked by.

The tackles started flying in and Mr Sutton turned regularly to his yellow card to try and keep the game under control - including booking Flanagan for deliberately barging in to him.

Brentford were playing the better football by the time the game reached the three quarter mark.

Martin tipped a Donaldson header over and the home defence blocked an Osborne header before the goalkeeper held on to a pair of Saunders free kicks.

Brentford should have sealed it when Logan broke away from an MK free kick, the wide man raced clear with only Martin to beat but had to rush his shot following a poor touch and the goalkeeper saved.

Martin saved from Niall McGinn after the Northern Ireland international tricked his way in to the box and Dean flicked a header wide soon after.

MK had offered little after an early burst at the start of the second half but Dean had to divert a Smith volley from the edge of the penalty area wide.

McGinn had appeals for a penalty turned down when he appeared to be blocked off by Flanagan before Mr Sutton did award one at the other end.

MacDonald went down under the challenge of Osborne and even though it looked to be outside the penalty area, a spot kick was given.

Williams stroked the spot kick in to the top corner to halve the arrears and set up a grandstand finish.

The Dons almost snatched an equaliser when Brentford failed to deal with a long ball and Jabo Ibhere smacked a shot against the angle of post and crossbar - the striker then fired over when the ball came back in.

Ibhere got in behind again moments later but took too long and allowed Leon Legge to block before Powell, Potter and Rob Hall had shots blocked.

The home side sacrificed their passing style and the last 20 minutes were more reminiscent of the old Wimbledon, the team that became MK Dons, with long ball after long ball pumped forward.

But Brentford stood strong and made it nine points in a week with a well-deserved win.

Milton Keynes Dons: Martin; Tavernier (sub Ibhere 73 mins), Flanagan, Williams, Lewington; Gleeson, Potter; Powell, Smith, O'Shea (sub Hall 62 mins); MacDonald

Subs (not used): McLoughlin, Chicksen, Slane

Bookings: Smith (34 mins), Flanagan (59 mins), MacDonald (60 mins), Lewington (81 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Thompson, Osborne, Dean, Bidwell; Logan (sub Legge 90 mins), Diagouraga, Donaldson, Forrester (sub McGinn 64 mins); Saunders (sub Bean 77 mins); Donaldson

Subs (not used): Morrison, Berahino

Bookings: Thompson (75 mins) (fourth of season), Bean (81 mins) (seventh of season), Osborne (86 mins) (third of season), Diagouraga (88 mins) (sixth of season)

Attendance: 11,570 (1,170 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports