Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Apr 12 at 17:58 PM


Sam Saunders scored two more as Brentford recorded their fifth straight win - this time beating Bury 3-0 at Griffin Park.

The attacking midfield player curled in a free kick just before half time before adding a second after the break.

Shaleum Logan scored a third for The Bees and it was then just a matter of whether the home side would score any more.

Bury's ambition, or lack thereof, was summed up by their system, with three midfield players barely breaking over halfway and when Brentford had the ball it was not unusual to see ten Bury players within 30 yards of their own goal.

Brentford's task was to break them down without leaving themselves open at the back.

They created few chances in the first half hour but showed signs Bury's defensive outlook would not be rewarded and when they eventually got ahead, there was only one winner.

Clinton Morrison saw an early volley blocked while a Jonathan Douglas effort was also cleared by the defence and Harlee Dean connected weakly after a nice turn on the edge of the penalty area.

But Brentford got closer as the half wore on - Morrison diverted a Logan cross just wide before Clayton Donaldson teased his way past Andrai Jones and drilled in a low ball that Toumani Diagouraga flicked just the wrong side of the post.

Bury did put attacks together but mainly left it to their wide players to support lone striker Andy Bishop, unless they earned set pieces.

Richard Lee saved a curling shot from Lenell John-Lewis and held on to a cross-cum-shot from David Worrall.

Left midfield player Worrall also had a shot blocked before The Bees scrambled away a Nathan Clarke header and Giles Coke fired wide.

It became apparent very early on that it would be an afternoon requiring patience from everyone of a Brentford persuasion until the first goal.

The Bees dominated but found Bury well-organised, resilient and a tough nut to crack.

Marcus Bean miss-hit a volley from a corner and Donaldson nodded wide before a curling Douglas shot was saved

Dean could have opened the scoring when Bury failed to deal with a corner but the central defender couldn't control his shot with the ball bouncing and it flew over.

Brentford finally broke through just before half time when Donaldson was brought crashing down by Clarke 20 yards out and Saunders stepped up to curl the ball round the defensive wall and in off the post.

Bury goalkeeper Jonathan Bond may have been disappointed to concede it as he appeared to be positioned a few feet from where the ball entered the goal.

The first half had been a bit fractious with Bury not backwards in coming forward with a number of firm tackles.

The visitors were very fortunate not to lose a man early in the second half when Steven Schumacher dived in to a sickening tackle, seemingly two-footed and very late, on Douglas.

The Bury man somehow escaped with a yellow card from referee Simon Hooper and Douglas, after a period of sustained treatment, was fortunate to be able to walk, let alone carry on, which he did for a further 12 minutes.

By the time the midfield general went off, Saunders had doubled the lead and Brentford were all but home and dry.

Brentford's second came when Logan fed the ball inside and Donaldson's dummy took Peter Sweeney completely out of the game - Saunders, with space to move in to, accelerated towards the edge of the penalty area and placed a low shot out of the reach of Bond and in to the corner.

It took The Bees just five minutes to add a third as Donaldson burst through the middle and fed the overlapping Logan, who steadied himself and placed the ball low past Bond.

Bury had shown little sign of being able to find a response at 1-0 - the only time Lee was involved was to keep out a header from Donaldson - and they had no way back at 3-0.

Worrall could have reduced the arrears when he broke away after Bury had scrambled away a Donaldson header but Karleigh Osborne was quick to get back and the chance disappeared.

Brentford had chances to add a fourth - Saunders got in behind and it took a great tackle by Efe Sodje to deflect his shot wide, Bean shot over and substitute Leon Legge narrowly missed the target with a powerful header.

Shaun Harrad headed wide twice for Bury and missed a gilt-edged chance when a Lee clearance was headed back and he raced through, but with only the Brentford goalkeeper to beat he shot wide.

Anything other than a clean sheet would have been harsh on Brentford, who were just too good for their visitors and continue their winning run.

Brentford: Lee; Logan, Osborne (sub Legge 81 mins), Dean, Bidwell; Bean, Douglas (sub Thompson 64 mins), Diagouraga; Saunders; Donaldson, Morrison (sub McGinn 73 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Forrester

Bookings: Logan (60 mins) (third of season)

Bury: Bond; Jones, Sodje, Clarke, Skarz; Schumacher; John-Lewis (sub Harrad 73 mins), Sweeney (sub Elford-Alliyu 64 mins), Coke, Worrall; Bishop

Subs (not used): Branagan, Carrington, Hughes

Bookings: Schumacher (52 mins), Jones (70 mins), Clarke (80 mins)

Attendance: 5,192 (293 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports