Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 at 22:21 PM


Brentford's run in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy came to an end in a London derby at Underhill as Barnet knocked them out in a penalty shoot-out.

Jonathan Douglas fired his penalty over the bar and with Barnet converting all five of theirs, they progressed to the Southern Final after a 0-0 draw in North London.

Brentford will feel hard done by as they dominated almost exclusively but Dean Brill in the home goal kept them out and the home side then put them out.

The visitors flew out of the blocks and could have had the game wrapped up in the first 20 minutes.

They created chance after chance in the first quarter of the match and it took a combination of the woodwork, desperate defending and luck to keep Brentford out.

Sam Saunders had an early shot blocked and Niall McGinn missed the target after cutting inside before five minutes had elapsed.

The Northern Ireland international came within a whisker of opening the scoring when the Barnet defence made a mess of dealing with a Shaleum Logan ball and he got in behind, his lobbed effort beat Brill but cannoned away off the crossbar.

Toumani Diagouraga had a shot deflected wide and Saunders shot just over as Brentford laid siege to the home goal in the early stages.

Marcus Bean shot inches wide after latching on to a fantastic Clayton Donaldson flick and Brill got a fingertip to a McGinn cross as Donaldson prepared to finish off a fine move.

Barnet offered little in the first half hour but did come in to the game more as the half wore on.

The only time they tested Richard Lee in the first 30 minutes was when Harlee Dean flicked a Mark Byrne long throw in to his arms.

Sam Deering and Izale McLeod had shots blocked and Mark Marshall curled a free kick in to a defensive wall.

Although the home side had been second best early on, they finished the half well, without really creating much.

Lee held on to a looping Paul Downing header and Byrne fired in a shot that hit McLeod, with the striker flagged offside as he tried, unsuccessfully, to convert the loose ball.

An assistant's flag also spared the blushed of Marcel Eger when the central defender failed to head in a Saunders free kick from close range.

Downing headed wide in the dying seconds of a half and with the game all square at the break, the home side would probably have been happier.

The second half started in a fairly even fashion but as the game ticked towards the hour mark, Brentford started to re-assert their authority.

The home defence was able to clear when Bean nodded a McGinn cross back but they were indebted to their goalkeeper soon after.

Saunders floated a free kick in, Eger headed back and Donaldson nodded powerfully towards the corner of the net, only for Brill to dive full stretch to keep it out.

The ball wasn't cleared and Bean fed Diagouraga but again Brill went full length to his left to keep out the toe poked effort.

Marshall shot wide after beating two and Dean and Lee just about managed to sort out a mix-up before McLeod could profit.

It was turning in to Brentford v Brill as the goalkeeper denied the visitors again and again.

He kept out a Diagouraga header before he made a low save from Donaldson, although the striker may have done better, and then dived low to keep out a Dean side footed effort.

Barnet almost snatched the lead on the break when Deering escaped down the right and picked out Clovis Kamdjo with a cross - his volley looked set for the bottom corner before Logan made a vital block.

Brentford were looking the most likely team to win the game - Brill saved at the feet of Donaldson and the inspired goalkeeper tipped a Dean header over the bar.

McLeod fired over in stoppage time and Mike Grella fired a volley in to the arms of Brill, the last chance before the shoot-out.

Douglas blasted Brentford's second over the bar and although Gary Alexander, Jake Reeves and Saunders scored, Barnet were almost faultless.

Lee got a hand to Mark Hughes' kick but couldn't keep it out and Danny Senda fired Barnet through with the home side's fifth kick.

Barnet: Brill; Senda, Hector, Downing, Borrowdale; Byrne (sub Holmes 80 mins), Kamdjo, Deering, Hughes, Marshall; McLeod

Subs (not used): Baseya, O'Brien, N'Diaye, McCallum

Brentford: Lee; Logan, Eger, Dean, Bidwell; Bean (sub Reeves 90 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga; McGinn (sub Alexander 72 mins), Donaldson (sub Grella 86 mins), Saunders

Subs (not used): Legge, Weston

Bookings: Bean (33 mins) (third of season), Douglas (77 mins) (seventh of season)

Attendance: 1,970 (899 Brentford fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports