Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Apr 12 at 21:44 PM


A goal after just 64 seconds from Marcus Bean and a second half strike from substitute Niall McGinn gave Brentford a fourth straight win.

Their 2-0 victory over Oldham Athletic at Griffin Park keeps them on the fringes of the npower League One Play-Off race and was a further boost as they enter the crucial Easter period.

Despite Brentford going ahead with barely a minute on the clock, the first ten were fairly even.

But The Bees soon took control and put the visitors to the sword for long periods.

The opening goal - when Bean volleyed in a Clayton Donaldson long throw - was a sign of Oldham's frailties at set pieces and Brentford exploited it.

Harlee Dean headed another long throw wide soon after the first goal and Brentford could have ended up with more than the two goals they scored from dead ball situations.

But with the visitors unable to breach a well-marshalled defence often, The Bees never really looked like losing.

Oldham could have levelled in the opening exchanges - Robbie Simpson volleyed over after finding space in the penalty area and Dean made a decent block from a fierce Filipe Morais shot.

But they did not and once Brentford got in to their stride, they played some football to treasure.

Jean Yves M'voto had to come across to prevent Sam Saunders shooting after a burst forward from Shaleum Logan and that was a sign of things to come.

The Bees almost doubled their lead when Toumani Diagouraga robbed Bradley Diallo on the edge of the penalty area and fed Clinton Morrison, the striker appeared to be taken down by M'voto as he controlled the ball but referee Nigel Miller saw no foul and Saunders' shot was deflected inches wide.

From the resulting corner, again taken by the influential Saunders, Donaldson headed down and it took a wondrous save from Dean Bouzanis to keep the ball out, the Oldham stopper pushed the ball on to the post and watched as it rolled across the line and away to safety.

Donaldson went close again soon after when - following a move that involved Saunders, Morrison and Logan - he picked up a Jonathan Douglas pass that Diagouraga expertly dummied, turned a shot wide.

Morrison nearly opened his Brentford account with a fierce shot that Bouzanis palmed out and Saunders curled a free kick on to the top of the crossbar.

Oldham were on the ropes but were still throwing punches at the other end, albeit they were few and far between.

Jake Bidwell made an important block when Morais met a Diallo cross on the volley on one foray forward and Chris Taylor headed a Kieran Lee cross over on another.

But Brentford were in charge and Donaldson almost scored a goal to savour before the break when he shot wide from 25 yards after Saunders, Douglas and Diagouraga had taken Brentford from one penalty area to another in a flash.

Saunders went close soon after the re-start with a shot that Bouzanis had to save with his feet but the game had to be halted soon after when Oldham's Taylor was stretchered off after a lengthy period of treatment.

Oldham brought on another striker in Oumare Tounkara and seemed to react better to the hold-up, which was around five minutes.

Tounkara had a shot blocked soon after his arrival and had an even better chance after Simpson found him in the penalty area, but Richard Lee - who had been a virtual spectator to that point - made himself big and smothered the shot.

Lee rushed out to beat Shefki Kuqi to a loose ball soon after as Oldham continued to press.

But Brentford Manager Uwe Rösler brought on Adam Thompson and McGinn to try and turn the tide and it had almost immediate effects.

McGinn won a corner after great work on the right and Brentford scored from it.

The ball was half cleared - Diagouraga headed down and McGinn took a touch before drilling low in to the far corner.

That just about sealed the game but Oldham tried to respond - Lee saved a deflected Tom Adeyemi shot and then watched anxiously as one from Harry Bunn dribbled just wide.

The Bees almost gave their visitors a way back in to the game when Bidwell played a weak back pass and Lee had to be alert to beat Tounkara to it.

Oldham tried to get a goal back but Brentford generally had them at arm's length - Lee saved a Bunn shot before the visitors almost found a way back when M'voto headed a Simpson corner down and Logan cleared off the line.

The Bees could have made it a more conclusive victory at the end when Logan shot narrowly over after more exciting wing play from McGinn.

But they settled for two goals, three points and another clean sheet as they continue their fine run.

Brentford: Lee; Logan, Osborne, Dean, Bidwell; Bean (sub Thompson 56 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga; Saunders (sub Forrester 90 mins); Donaldson, Morrison (sub McGinn 63 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Legge

Bookings: Dean (85 mins) (third of season)

Oldham Athletic: Bouzanis; Lee, Brown, M'voto, Diallo; Morais (sub M'Changama 88 mins), Furman, Adeyemi, Taylor (sub Tounkara 52 mins); Simpson; Kuqi (sub Bunn 73 mins)

Subs (not used): Gerrard, Tankowski,

Bookings: Simpson (28 mins), Morais (45 mins), Furman (90 mins)

Attendance: 4,573 (205 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports